What exactly is a #hashtag? I’m sure you are wondering and since the news of Facebook’s #hashtag introduction why should I care? How does it affect me? Should I be using it for my brand, my business? We are about to break it down for you and give you the full explanation including definition, how Twitter, Instagram and other social media platforms utilize them to tag or label a keyword or phrase and why it’s important for you to fully understand its use and power!
What is a #hashtag?
Twitter Hashtag 101
- People use the hashtag symbol # before a relevant keyword or phrase (no spaces) in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets and help them show more easily in Twitter Search
- Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message shows you all other Tweets marked with that keyword
- Hashtags can occur anywhere in the Tweet – at the beginning, middle, or end
- Hashtagged words that become very popular are often Trending Topics
Example: In the Tweet below, @RightWingNerd included the hashtag #FF. Users created this as shorthand for “Follow Friday,” a weekly tradition where users recommend people that others should follow on Twitter. You’ll see this on Fridays.
Using hashtags correctly:
- If you Tweet with a hashtag on a public account, anyone who does a search for that hashtag may find your Tweet
- Don’t #spam #with #hashtags. Don’t over-tag a single Tweet. (Best practices recommend using no more than 2 hashtags per Tweet)
- Use hashtags only on Tweets relevant to the topic
Here is a great article written by Jon Mitchell on readwrite that gives you more detail on What is the Point? If millions of people are using something, there got to be a reason right??!
- What Is the Point of: #Hashtags? – ReadWrite http://bit.ly/175naLF
Here’s another amazing article by Alicia Cowen on Twitter hashtag 101:
- Twitter Tip: What is a hashtag (#) on Twitter? | Alicia Cowan http://bit.ly/10f15qS
With Twitter’s Hashtag event organizer have been able to build buzz and generate more conversation for their events. I’ve attended a few events that made it more conversational for me , introduced me to new people or business connections that I would otherwise NOT have been able to meet. This is what Facebook is looking to achieve with their introduction of the hashtag. It will only make you more SOCIAL AND SOCIAL IS GOOD! Check out this incredible article by Michael Reynolds that breaks down the multiple uses of the #hashtag for YOU, your BUSINESS or BRAND.
- What is a hashtag? A deep dive into examples and applications. http://bit.ly/196eXnU
So what are your thoughts on #hashtags after you’ve READ the above information? Are you #ProHashtags or #AgainstHashtags ?